18 May, 2011

RIP, Harmon Killebrew

I didn't get a chance to post this yesterday, but I was very saddened to hear of the passing of Twins legend, Harmon Killebrew. Over the weekend I read that he was entering hospice and two days later he's gone. There are some great stories, comments and rememberances being shared over at baseball-reference.com. I didn't know that much about Killebrew outside of the baseball diamond, but it is clear from all the fond memories that people have shared that he was a class act and touched many peoples lives.

I don't have anythign to add except for a story that he once told that really stuck with me.

“My father used to play with my brother and me in the yard. Mother would come out and say, “You’re tearing up the grass”; “We’re not raising grass,” Dad would reply. “We’re raising boys” – Harmon Killebrew

I keep that sentiment close to my heart, and I always think of "Killer" when I remember it.

No comments:

Post a Comment